[Beowulf] Flashmobcomputing

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Feb 27 08:11:43 EST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 graham.mullier at syngenta.com wrote:

> Hmm, presumably a 'bad' message will need to have the Evil Bit set
> (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3514.txt)?

You know, I just joined the ietf.org list a week or two ago to see if
there was any possibility of leveraging their influence on e.g. AV
vendors to get them to stop mailing bounce messages back to the "From"
address on viruses, given that there hasn't been a virus that hasn't
forged its From header to an innocent third party for several years now.

Finding myself sucked into an endless discussion with people who want
the ietf to issue an RFC to call for digitally signing all mail and
using said signatures to drive all spam white/blacklisting (imagine the
keyservice THAT would require and the gazillion dollar profits it would
generate) I have gradually started to wonder if the ietf has degenerated
into a kind of a cruel joke.

This RFC, however, lifts my spirits and renews my confidence that the
original luminaries that designed in the Internet have not fully stopped
glowing in the chaotic darkness that surrounds them.

Armed with the complete confidence that my design is based on both sound
protocol and Dr. D. Adams' valuable empirical observation about bad
news, I will start work on a PVM version that sets the Evil Bit right
away.  I fully expect to win a Nobel Prize from the proof that
communications are transluminal in the resulting cluster.  It must be
that the Evil Bit is somehow a time-reversal bit or a tachyonic bit --
Bad News must somehow propagate backwards in time from the event.

I most certainly will acknowledge all of the contributions of all you
"little people" when I receive my invitation to Stockholm.

I'm so happy.

Sniff.

   rgb

> Graham

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu