[Beowulf] Subclusters...

Andrew Wang andrewxwang at yahoo.com.tw
Wed Feb 25 08:27:54 EST 2004

GridEngine has the concept of a CELL.

It is not well documented, but it works like pointing
to a different cell gives you a different
configuration, ie. different subcluster.

When you setup SGE, it will ask you for the name of
the cell, so on the same head node, each time you run
the sge install script, use a different cell name.
This way you will get 5 different SGE clusters
controlled by the same headnode.

Better ask on the SGE mailing list since I've never
played around with this too much.

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/maillist.html

Andrew.

 --- raiders at phreaker.net 的訊息:> We are on a
project as described below:

> - IA32 linux cluster for general parallel
> programming
> - five head nodes, each head node will have about 15
> compute nodes and
> dedicated storage
> - groups of cluster-users will be restricted to
> their own clusters normally
> (some exclusions may apply)
> - SGE/PBS, GbE etc are standard choices
>
> But the people in power want one single software or
> admin console (cluster
> toolkit?) to manage the entire cluster from one adm
> station (which may or may
> not be one of the head nodes).
>
> I looked around and could not find any suitable
> solution (ROCKS, oscar, etc).
> ROCKS, oscar etc can manage only one cluster at a
> time and cannot handle
> subclusters. (I might be wrong)
>
>  I believe that only custom programming can help.
> Appreciate any expert
> opinion
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn