[Beowulf] Flashmobcomputing

Ashley Pittman ashley at quadrics.com
Tue Feb 24 09:10:09 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 22:47, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > Still, it sounds like a fun, demystifying demo that introduces people to
> > scalable computing.
>
> demystification is always good.  IMO, the best part of this is that
> it'll actually demonstrate why a flash mob *CAN'T* build a supercomputer.
> partly the reason is hetrogeneity and other "practical" downers.

It will be interesting to see, I don't expect they are going to get much
time to benchmark but it would be nice to have a plot of achieved
performance against CPU count in this kind of configuration.  Anybody
care to predict how many CPU's you will need before wall clock
performance starts dropping?

> but mainly, a super-computer needs a super-network.

That I won't dispute but does a single linpack run require a
super-computer?

Ashley,