[Beowulf] Flashmobcomputing

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 24 12:21:18 EST 2004

At 08:34 AM 2/24/2004 -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:47:27PM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:
> >
> > > of course, in the grid nirvana,
> > > all computers would have multiple ports of infiniband,
> > > and the word would be 5 us across ;)
> >
> > In grid nirvana, the speed of light would rise with Moore's Law.
>
>I'll have to think about that one.
>
>Exponential growth of the speed of light.  Hmmm.  Some sort of
>inflationary model?  Space flattening towards non-relativistic
>classical?  The physics of Nirvana would be veeeery interesting...

5 usec gives you a "grid diameter" of a mile or so... (if you don't worry
about pesky things like wires or fibers to carry the signals).  You could
fit a LOT of processors in a sphere a mile in diameter.  Does bring up some
interesting questions about optimum interconnection strategies.  Even if
you put nodes on the surface of that sphere (so you can use free space
optical interconnects across the middle of the sphere, you'd have about 7.2
million square meters to fool with. Say you can fit a 100 nodes in a square
meter.  That's almost a billion nodes.

If you need bigger, one could always use fancy stuff like quantum
entanglement, about which I don't know much, but which might provide a
solution to communicating across large distances very quickly (at least in
one frame of reference)

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Telecommunications Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive