[Beowulf] Flashmobcomputing

Joachim Worringen joachim at ccrl-nece.de
Tue Feb 24 12:15:01 EST 2004

Donald Becker:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, John Hearns wrote:
> > I hesitate a bit to send things seen on Slashdot to the list,
> > but this is probably relevant:
> >

> > http://www.flashmobcomputing.org/
>
> A bit of hype here.
[...]

Exactly. It's a nice idea (although the wrong approach, as Donald elaborated -
maybe they will find out), but they shouldn't seriously clame to be the first
with this "revolutionary idea" (sic!).

In addition to Donald's references to earlier "on-the-fly clusters", here's
another one from Germany (December 1998):
http://www.heise.de/ix/artikel/E/1999/01/010/

I don't know if they actually submitted results to TOP500 - I could not find a
matching entry for 1999.

 Joachim

--
Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 - http://www.ccrl-nece.de