[Beowulf] S.M.A.R.T usage in big clusters

Daniel Fernandez daniel at labtie.mmt.upc.es
Mon Feb 23 10:18:34 EST 2004

El dom, 22-02-2004 a las 17:04, Felix Rauch escribió:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Joseph Mack wrote:
> > How do you get your information out of smartd?
> >
> > I've found output in syslog - presumably I can grep for this.
>
> I've done this for a while to get temperature information from a
> server in our small group server room (together with MRTG we have a
> nice history of temperature to show to the facilities people when the
> temperature was too high again...).
>
> The problem with greping for smartd information in the syslog file is
> that there is no current information after a log rotation. That's why
> I changed our cron jobs. Now I use a small setuid-root program which
> starts "smartctl -a /dev/sdX" and then greps for the temperature.
>
> - Felix
>
> ---
> Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
> Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
> ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
> CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307
>

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Joseph Mack wrote:
> > How do you get your information out of smartd?
> >
> > I've found output in syslog - presumably I can grep for this.
>
> I've done this for a while to get temperature information from a
> server in our small group server room (together with MRTG we have a
> nice history of temperature to show to the facilities people when the
> temperature was too high again...).
>
> The problem with greping for smartd information in the syslog file is
> that there is no current information after a log rotation. That's why
> I changed our cron jobs. Now I use a small setuid-root program which
> starts "smartctl -a /dev/sdX" and then greps for the temperature.
>
> - Felix
>
> ---
> Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
> Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage:
http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
> ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
> CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307

On the other hand, is possible to deviate smartd log to a specific file
and check it regularly when it's updated, adding this parameter to
smartd:

        -l facility

Of course some syslog.conf modifying will be needed to instruct syslogd
to log on a specific file from the "facility" specified.

        facility.* /var/log/smartd.log

Also, the '-M' coupled with the 'exec' directive should work, a script
could be run to update some flags for example:

        -M exec /usr/bin/smartd_alert.sh

--
Daniel Fernandez <daniel at labtie.mmt.upc.es>
Centre tecnològic de transferència de calor - CTTC