[Beowulf] S.M.A.R.T usage in big clusters

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Sun Feb 22 11:04:17 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Joseph Mack wrote:
> How do you get your information out of smartd?
>
> I've found output in syslog - presumably I can grep for this.

I've done this for a while to get temperature information from a
server in our small group server room (together with MRTG we have a
nice history of temperature to show to the facilities people when the
temperature was too high again...).

The problem with greping for smartd information in the syslog file is
that there is no current information after a log rotation. That's why
I changed our cron jobs. Now I use a small setuid-root program which
starts "smartctl -a /dev/sdX" and then greps for the temperature.

- Felix

---
Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307