[Beowulf] Newbie Question: Batching Versus Custom RPC

Andrew Wang andrewxwang at yahoo.com.tw
Thu Feb 19 20:04:32 EST 2004

--- Ryan Adams <radams at csail.mit.edu> 的訊息:
> My question is basically this: is 2-5 seconds too
> small of a job to
> justify a batching system like *PBS or Gridengine?

Yes, 10 minutes or greater sound more reasonable.

May be you can chunk 100 or more of those tasks into a
job and submit it into a batch system.

Also, from the "Tuning guide" HOWTO on the GridEngine
website, SGE has a feature called
"scheduling-on-demand" -- seems like it will help a
lot since the scheduler is activated whenever a job
arrives or a machine becomes available.

Andrew.

> Certainly, one option
> would be to bundle sets of these chunks together for
> a larger effective
> job.  Am I wasting my time thinking about this?
>
> I've been considering rolling my own scheduling
> system using some kind
> of RPC, but I've been around software development
> long enough to know
> that it is better to use something off-the-shelf if
> at all possible.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Ryan

每天都 Yahoo!奇摩