[Beowulf] S.M.A.R.T usage in big clusters

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Wed Feb 18 09:16:48 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Joseph Mack wrote:

> Steven Timm wrote:
> >

> > On the drives where we have had the most failures we've kept track
> > of how well SMART predicted it pretty well.. it finds an error
> > in advance about half the time.
>
> How do you get your information out of smartd?
>
> I've found output in syslog - presumably I can grep for this.

At the moment we are not using smartd.  I was running an older
version that didn't have it as part of the package. I wrote
some cron scripts that do a short test every night and capture
the output to a file.  But we are going to transition and
use smartd and use an agent we already have that is grepping
/var/log/messages for other purposes.

Steve Timm