[Beowulf] S.M.A.R.T usage in big clusters

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Wed Feb 18 07:22:07 EST 2004

Steven Timm wrote:

> On the drives where we have had the most failures we've kept track
> of how well SMART predicted it pretty well.. it finds an error
> in advance about half the time.

How do you get your information out of smartd?

I've found output in syslog - presumably I can grep for this.

I can get e-mail if I want (from the docs).

To look at the output of the long and short tests it appears that
I have to interactively use smartctl.

Is there anyway to have a flag that can be looked at periodically to
say "this disk is about to fail"?

Thanks Joe
SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov