[Beowulf] Best Setup for Batch Systems

Dean Michael C. Berris mikhailberis at free.net.ph
Wed Feb 18 05:25:22 EST 2004

Thanks sir, and to everyone else that responded. I'm currently reading
on SGE, and am going to be choosing as soon as I get the full picture.
Currently my preference is still towards SPBS (Torque) mainly because it
doesn't seem as complicated to set up.

However, as a Debian user, I did an apt-cache search on batch system and
a couple of packages were Queue and DQS (Distributed Queueing System). I
went over to the DQS website, and I'm reading on it right now. What I'd
like to know would be how different DQS (and/or Queue) is with regards
to SPBS and SGE?

It would seem like from what I've been reading, SGE and SPBS are really
for clusters (and grids), and DQS is for a collection of computers that
really don't work as a cluster (or as a parallel computer). How accurate
is this assessment of mine?

Are there any articles written by people in the group regarding
comparisons between SGE and SPBS with regards to effectivity and
reliability? Scalability is also a factor because the cluster may grow
as more funding and problems get into the cluster project.

I hope I never cease to get enlightened from posts in the group, and
insights would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much and have a nice day! :)

mikhailberis at free.net.ph
+63 919 8720686
GPG 08AE6EAC