[Beowulf] ECC RAM or not?

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Tue Feb 17 14:59:52 EST 2004

For a low-cost cluster, would you insist on ECC RAM or not, and why?

My inclination would be to always use ECC for anything, but it looks
as if there is no such thing as an inexpensive motherboard which also
supports ECC RAM.  Either you can have a cheap motherboard (well under
$100) with no ECC, or a pricey (well over $100) motherboard with ECC.
Am I mistaken about this, are are there really no exceptions to this
seeming "ECC motherboads are always expensive" rule?

Also at least some large production clusters out there, KASY0, for
example, doesn't use ECC RAM, do not use ECC - I wonder why:

  http://aggregate.org/KASY0/cost.html

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/