[Beowulf] Max flops to watts hardware for a cluster

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon Feb 16 11:19:53 EST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 at 10:47am, Camm Maguire wrote

> Greetings!  The subject line says it all -- where can one get the most
> bang per watt among systems currently available?

I have no numbers or benchmarks, but my search for a quiet but powerful
set of nodes led me to buy Dell Optiplex SX270s.  They've got the Intel
865G chipset (800MHz FSB, 400MHz dual channel memory), P4 HT up to 3.2GHz,
onboard e1000, laptop-style HDD, a 150W power supply, and little else.
They're sweet little systems.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering