[Beowulf] S.M.A.R.T usage in big clusters

Konstantin Kudin konstantin_kudin at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 14:28:22 EST 2004

 I am curious if anyone is using SMART monitoring of
ide drives in a big cluster.

 Basically, the question is in what percentage of the
situations when a drive fails SMART is able to give
some kind of a reasonable warning beforehand, let's
say more than 24 hours. And how often it does not
predict failure at all?

 The reason I am asking is that recently I had a drive
that started getting bunch of I/O errors on certain
sectors, yet SMART seemed to indicate that things were
fine.

 Thanks!

 Konstantin

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html