[Beowulf] gigabit ethernet: horrible performance for 0 byte messages

Patrick Michael Kane modus at pr.es.to
Thu Feb 12 23:53:04 EST 2004

* Chris Samuel (csamuel at vpac.org) [040212 20:42]:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:22 pm, Brent M. Clements wrote:
>
> > The best switch that we have found both in price and speed are the GigE
> > Switches from Dell. We use them in a few of our test clusters and smaller
> > clusters. They are actually pretty good performers and top even some of
> > the cisco switches.
>
> That's bizzare, the GigE switches I've seen in a Dell cluster *were* rebadged
> Cisco switches.  Even had to do the usual "PortFast" routine in IOS to get
> PXE booting to work.

They used to be, I believe.

Now they appear to be something else (for their latest 24 port layer-2
model).  I've had good luck with them with the latest firmware, before
that they were fairly flakey.  Check the dell forums for all the
yammering and howling on the PowerEdge 5224.

Best,
--
Patrick Michael Kane
<modus at pr.es.to>