[Beowulf] Math Coprocessor

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri Feb 13 03:40:09 EST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> not really vanishing, but I'll bet that no more than 10% of all
> programmers have a clue about what registers are and how to manipulate
> them with assembler commands...maybe more like 1-2%.  And mostly Old
> Guys at that.  And the serious, I mean really serious, programmers and
> hackers.

Sigh. I was first taught assembler in the physics department (being as
you in the States would say a physics major).
The lab had Motorola 68000 trainer boards.
I still have a copy of "68000 Assembly Language" by Kane, Hawkins,
Leventhal kicking around. Such a nice architecture.

But then again I may be the only person to own "Fortran 77:
A Structured Approach".  Such perversity originating from being taught
Pascal by computer scientists then learning Fortran.

I also remember being taught about self-modifying
code by the then professor of computing science. Do they still teach
that?