[Beowulf] gigabit ethernet: horrible performance for 0 byte messages

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Feb 11 23:13:12 EST 2004

Realize that not all switches are created equal when working with small
(and, overall, 0-byte == small) packets.  A number of otherwise decent
network switches are less than stellar performers with small packets.
We've evaluated this in my lab with an Anritsu MD-1230 Ethernet test
system running under the RFC-2544 testing suite...

There are switches that perform well with small packets, but it's been
our experience that most switches, especially your lower cost switches
(Cisco 2900/2950/3500, 4000/4500; Allied Telesyn *; Cabletron *; some
others I can't recall right now) didn't perform well with smaller
packets but did fine when the packet size was about 1500 bytes.

Going with cheap switches is usually not a good way to improve performance.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173