[Beowulf] Master-Slave Problems

Dean Michael C. Berris mikhailberis at free.net.ph
Thu Feb 12 05:37:54 EST 2004

Good day everyone,

I've just finished implementing and testing a master-slave prime number
finder as a test problem for my thesis on heterogeneous cluster load
balancing for parallel applications. Test results show anomalies which
may be tied to work chunk size allocations to the slaves, but to test
whether it will hold true for other applications and is not directly
tied to the parallel prime number finder, I am in need of other problems
that may be solved using a master-slave architecture.

Sure it is easy to come up with just any problem and implement a
solution in a master-slave model, but I'm looking for computationally
intensive problems wherein the computation necessary for parts of the
problem are not equal. What I mean by this is similar to the case of the
parallel number finder, seeing whether 11 is prime requires less
computation compared to seeing whether 9999991 is prime.

Any insights or pointers to documentations or papers that have had
similar problems are most welcome.

TIA

PS: Are ther any cluster admins there willing to spare some cycles and
cluster time for a cluster needy BS Undergraduate student in the
Philippines? :D
--
Dean Michael C. Berris
http://mikhailberis.blogspot.com