[Beowulf] how are people doing this?

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Wed Feb 11 16:26:44 EST 2004

Mike Eggleston <mikee at mikee.ath.cx> writes:

> I know it's been discussed and I apologize for asking it again. I've
> just not found the way that seems to fit with the picture I'm trying
> to reach. What I'm thinking of doing is writing a perl script that
> can be placed into CVS. On each server a cron process checks out the
> current CVS repository of server (AIX) config data and script. Then
> the perl script starts to check permissions, update resolv.conf, hosts,
> login, passwd, etc., and to check that specific packages are installed
> or that the packages need updating. I like a lot of what cfengine
> did, but I really want a script that can be maintained in CVS.

Well, if it comes to that, surely you can place cfengine's
configuration files in CVS and let cron run a script that updates the
config files from CVS and then launches cfengine? You don't have to
run cfd, you know; you can start cfengine any way you want.

I'd really think twice before starting to re-implement cfengine's
existing functionality.

cfengine helped me keep my sanity in an earlier life while
single-handedly adminning a heterogenous Unix environment ranging from
SunOS 4.1.3_u1 through Solaris 7, diverse Tru64:s and a hodge-podge of
Linuxen.

--
Leif Nixon                                    Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre           Linkoping University