[Beowulf] how are people doing this?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Feb 11 14:35:13 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Mike Eggleston wrote:

> I know it's been discussed and I apologize for asking it again. I've
> just not found the way that seems to fit with the picture I'm trying
> to reach. What I'm thinking of doing is writing a perl script that
> can be placed into CVS. On each server a cron process checks out the
> current CVS repository of server (AIX) config data and script. Then
> the perl script starts to check permissions, update resolv.conf, hosts,
> login, passwd, etc., and to check that specific packages are installed
> or that the packages need updating. I like a lot of what cfengine
> did, but I really want a script that can be maintained in CVS.

You might look into yum.  You'd have to learn python, but yum already
does most of what you want for rpm packages and could likely be hacked.
In fact, yum would do what you want for all the config files if you roll
them into an rpm package right now -- it already has precisely what it
needs to install and update according to a revision number.

You can run yum update as often as you wish.  It will run from NFS and
can be secured a variety of ways.

   rgb

> For installing packages I plan for the script to mount an NFS export
> for pulling the packages.
>
> # mkdir /tmp/nfs.$$
> # mount admin:/opt/packages /tmp/nfs.$$
> # installp -d /tmp/nfs.$$ package
> # umount /tmp/nfs.$$
> # rmdir /tmp/nfs.$$
>
> For the account management I'm thinking of something on my admin
> server that pulls LDAP (M$ ADS) at some frequency (30-60 min) updating
> a local file with new users and their passwords. Then this file
> is checked into CVS for distribution to other nodes/servers. Using
> another file to list the users that are authorized access to the
> local node/server keeps my user-space to a minimum.
>
> Is that any more clear what I'm trying to do? I don't have a cluster,
> but I want to manage all nodes as identically as I can.
>
> Mike

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu