[Beowulf] how are people doing this?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Feb 11 13:58:39 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Mike Eggleston wrote:

> I feel that in a proper cluster that the nodes are all (basically)
> identical. I 'own' a server environment of 20+ servers that  are
> all dedicated to specific applications and this is not a cluster.
> However, I would like to manage config files (/etc/resolv.conf, etc),
> user accounts, patches, etc., as I would in a clustered environment.
> I have read the papers at infrastructures.org and agree with the
> principles mentioned there. I have looked extensively at cfengine,
> though I prefer the solution be in PERL as all my servers have
> PERL already (the manufacturer installs PERL as default on the boxes).
>
> How is everyone managing their cluster or what are suggestions
> on how I can manage my server environment.

Mike, this is nearly a FAQ -- the list archives should have a discussion
(one of many) only a few weeks old on this very subject.

There are NIS, LDAP, rsync, cfengine, and even yum/rpm-based solutions
possible, and more.  Oh, and dhcp actually pushes lots of stuff out all
by itself these days -- it should handle the stuff in resolv.conf for
example, and you should be using dhcp anyway for scalability reasons.

   rgb

> Mike

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu