[Beowulf] Re: [Rocks-Discuss]Intel compiler specifically tuned for SPEC2k (and other benchmarks?)

Dr. Yong Duan yduan at albert.chem.udel.edu
Tue Feb 10 10:37:49 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, [big5] Andrew Wang wrote:

> Again, no matter how pretty the benchmarks results
> look, in the end we still need to run on the real
> system. So, what's the point of having benchmarks?
>
> Andrew.

A guidelines, I guess. A lot of CPUs (including some rather expensive
ones and often call them HPC CPUs) perform at less than half the speed of
consumer grade CPUs. You'd definitely avoid those, for instance.
Also, you can look at the performance in each area and figure out the
relative performance expected to your own code. In the end, the most
reliable benchmark is always on your own code, of course.

Whether Intel compiler has been tuned for SPEC2K is probably an open
question. I tried various compilers on our code and found it is also tuned
for it :), consistently 10-20% faster than others. This included
performance on Opterons, strangely enough.

yong