[Beowulf] Intel compiler specifically tuned for SPEC2k (and other benchmarks?)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Tue Feb 10 18:52:41 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 11:42:32AM +0800, Andrew Wang wrote:

> Again, no matter how pretty the benchmarks results
> look, in the end we still need to run on the real
> system. So, what's the point of having benchmarks?

There isn't much point at staring at a benchmark that isn't at all
relevant to how you're using the system -- for example, a SPECcpu
score with the Intel compiler in 32-bit mode isn't going to tell you
much about an AMD64 app in 64-bit mode.

If I remember correctly, a guy at Intel published a paper about a
feedback optimization technique related to irregular strides that got
a 22% improvement in mcf. When I get back to the office in a couple of
days, I'll post a reference. And no, it's not at all Intel-specific.

-- greg
(posting from Paris. I should be asleep!)