[Beowulf] Gentoo for Science and Engineering

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Feb 10 18:00:05 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 05:01 am, Michael Banck wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. Does anybody know whether Torque is
> considered to be conforming to the Open Source Definition[1]?
> In the Torque tarball, I was only able to find a 'OpenPBS v2.3 Software
> License', which seems to prohibit commercial distribution, making it
> non-free unfortunately. Is there some other fork of PBS with a true Open
> Source license perhaps?

My understanding is that they cannot alter the license as they have inherited
that from the original OpenPBS sources, and as they do not hold all the
copyrights to the code it cannot be changed unless Altair can be persuaded.

My understanding is that the SuperCluster people picked the 2.3.12 version as
a starting point as that was the most recent with the most liberal license
(i.e. others could fork development from it).

I've CC'd this to the SuperCluster folks so they can comment and correct.

- --

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)