[Beowulf] Gentoo for Science and Engineering

Michael Banck mbanck at gmx.net
Tue Feb 10 13:01:16 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:21:19AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:19:58AM +0800, Andrew Wang wrote:
> > Can you add GridEngine (SGE) and Torque (SPBS)?
> >
> > The problem with OpenPBS is not only it is broken, it
> > is not under development these days, but also I found
> > that Altair is not allowing new users to download
> > OpenPBS. I went to its homepage today but it only
> > leads me to the PBSPro page.
> >
> To clarify things a bit, I hope.
>
> In the beginning was PBS - developed in house at NASA by engineers
> who needed a Portable Batch System.  If you understand Cray NQS syntax
> and concepts it's familiar :) They left / sold to Veridian who in turn
> sold to Altair.  The original PBS was GPL or a close equivalent, if I
> understand correctly.
>
> Altair are marketing a propietary development of PBS as PBSPro.  OpenPBS
> remains available, though you have to register with Altair for download.
> What they have done very recently, which is rather sneaky, is for the
> site to oblige you to register for an evaluation copy of PBSPro and
> potentially answer a questionnaire prior to providing the link to allow
> you to download OpenPBS.
>
> OpenPBS is not under active development and PBSPro may have stalled.
> Certainly the price per node that Altair are quoting has apparently
> dropped significantly - though their salesmen are still persistent :)
>
> The academic community and the active users forked OpenPBS to create
> Scalable PBS [SPBS] which is the name most widely known.  They've added
> patches, fixes and features, though there is still an Altair licence for
> OpenPBS in there.  In the last couple of months, SPBS changed its name
> initially to StORM and then to Torque.

Thanks for the clarification. Does anybody know whether Torque is
considered to be conforming to the Open Source Definition[1]?

In the Torque tarball, I was only able to find a 'OpenPBS v2.3 Software
License', which seems to prohibit commercial distribution, making it
non-free unfortunately. Is there some other fork of PBS with a true Open
Source license perhaps?

thanks,

Michael

[1] http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php