[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling... wires

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Feb 10 03:10:39 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Chris Samuel wrote:

> A quick correction, the Sheffield was an all steel ship, as I believe were all
> the Royal Navy's Type 42 destroyers. There was a major fire, which IIRC was
> not brought under control because the exocet (which failed to explode) took
> out a large chunk of the fire fighting system. She finally sank under tow on
> May 10th 1982, six days after being hit.

Steering the argument back to computers :-)
I saw a documentary about the Sheffield once.
Two ships were sent out as 'goalkeepers',
the Sheffield and the smaller Broadsword.
The Sheffield had a longer range missile system, the Broadsword
a short range one (or other way around).
During a period of vulnerability (can;t remember the exact reason)
the Broadsword had to reboot its ageing fire control computer.
I think build by Ferranti. (No slur intended on their fine engineers,
but the thing was old at the time).