[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling... wires

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Feb 9 00:24:28 EST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>
> > Should we mention the problems in household wiring caused by use of
> > aluminum wiring, then using breakers, outlets and fixtures designed for
> > copper?  I almost lost a house in Houston to that once.  I spent the 8
> > hours after the fire department left retightening all the connections
> > throughout.
>
> I seem to remember the government finding out about aluminum the hard
> way with some of their armored fighting vehicles a decade or two ago.
> When struck with a hot enough round, the armor itself just burned right
> up.

armor is supposed to burn. several armor desgins including that of the
american abrams battle tank, are desgined to ablate under pressure from
kinetic energy weapons. british chobham type composite armor, boron
carbide, or aluminum or some conbination of those and others, protect
larger armored vehicles from depleted uranium and tungsten sabot
munitions.

depleted uranium has similar or better pyrophoric properties (igniting at
500c and burning at 2000c) and the added nastyness of being a toxic heavy
metal... in general taking a 10kg urunium slug, accelerating it to
15,000fps and slamming it into another object will cause a fire. It has
been used in both armor and projectiles for more or less the same reasons.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu