[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling... wires - al

Sat Feb 7 17:21:38 EST 2004

hi ya

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> Should we mention the problems in household wiring caused by use of
> aluminum wiring, then using breakers, outlets and fixtures designed for
> copper?  I almost lost a house in Houston to that once.  I spent the 8
> hours after the fire department left retightening all the connections
> throughout.

people install wires with al or steel cores in the wire cause its
way way cheaper than copper ... copper is only needed for good conduction
on the outside of the wire

al corrosion ...  coat it with stuff :-) or wrap it w/ copper but
now you have to worry about copper corrosion
	- house or building wiring is different animals than
	high voltage transmission lines too

aluminum "pixie" dust does whacky things ..

c ya
alvin

- i've always wondered why people put massive heatsinks on top of the
  cpu ... air will have a harder time to cool a big mass of metal
  as opposed to cooling a smaller piece of metal  or cooling it some
  other way ..
	- problems of getting the heat out of the cpu ( 0.25"sq metal lid)
	- problems of getting the heat out of the cpu heatsink

	- blowing air down onto the heatsink is silly too .. left over
	from the 20-30 yr old ideas i guess