[Beowulf] Gentoo for Science and Engineering

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 06:21:19 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:19:58AM +0800, Andrew Wang wrote:
> Can you add GridEngine (SGE) and Torque (SPBS)?
>
> The problem with OpenPBS is not only it is broken, it
> is not under development these days, but also I found
> that Altair is not allowing new users to download
> OpenPBS. I went to its homepage today but it only
> leads me to the PBSPro page.

To clarify things a bit, I hope.

In the beginning was PBS - developed in house at NASA by engineers
who needed a Portable Batch System.  If you understand Cray NQS syntax
and concepts it's familiar :) They left / sold to Veridian who in turn
sold to Altair.  The original PBS was GPL or a close equivalent, if I
understand correctly.

Altair are marketing a propietary development of PBS as PBSPro.  OpenPBS
remains available, though you have to register with Altair for download.
What they have done very recently, which is rather sneaky, is for the
site to oblige you to register for an evaluation copy of PBSPro and
potentially answer a questionnaire prior to providing the link to allow
you to download OpenPBS.

OpenPBS is not under active development and PBSPro may have stalled.
Certainly the price per node that Altair are quoting has apparently
dropped significantly - though their salesmen are still persistent :)

The academic community and the active users forked OpenPBS to create
Scalable PBS [SPBS] which is the name most widely known.  They've added
patches, fixes and features, though there is still an Altair licence for
OpenPBS in there.  In the last couple of months, SPBS changed its name
initially to StORM and then to Torque.

HTH other relative newbies who may be confused by trying to find the
product :)

Andy