[Beowulf] Gentoo for Science and Engineering

Andrew Wang andrewxwang at yahoo.com.tw
Fri Feb 6 22:19:58 EST 2004

Can you add GridEngine (SGE) and Torque (SPBS)?

The problem with OpenPBS is not only it is broken, it
is not under development these days, but also I found
that Altair is not allowing new users to download
OpenPBS. I went to its homepage today but it only
leads me to the PBSPro page.

SGE already has a FreeBSD-style "port", so adding a
port for Gentoo Linux should also be easy. And I think
SGE is more popluar these days too.

SPBS is basically PBS, but with lots of problems
fixed, and better Maui scheduler support. Also, please
support the mpiexec parallel job starter, as it allows
OpenPBS and SPBS to control slave MPI tasks.

SGE: http://gridengine.sunsource.net
SPBS: http://www.supercluster.org/projects/torque/
mpiexec: http://www.osc.edu/~pw/mpiexec/

Thx :->
Andrew.

--- Andrew Fant <fant at pobox.com> 的訊息:
> In addition, many
> common scientific libraries
> and HPC tools are present, including Atlas, FFTW,
> gmp, LAM/MPI and
> openpbs.  The main website can be found at
> http://www.gentoo.org.
>
> Contact information:
>
> The mailing-list is only starting now, and is rather
> quiet, though I hope
> to change that over the next couple of weeks.  To
> subscribe, send a blank
> email to gentoo-science-subscribe at gentoo.org.  You
> will get a confirmation
> message back.  For those who want to just ask
> questions or find out more
> in a real-time setting, we are on IRC at
> irc.freenode.org in
> #gentoo-science.  Of course, questions may also be
> directed to me at
> afant at geekmail.cc.
>
> Thank you for your time.  Please feel free to
> forward this information to
> other groups that you feel would be interested.  I
> apologize to anyone who
> considered this an off-topic post.
>
> Andy Fant
>
> Andrew Fant      |   This    |  "If I could walk
> THAT way...
> Molecular Geek   |   Space   |     I wouldn't need
> the talcum powder!"
> fant at pobox.com   |    For    |          G. Marx
> (apropos of Aerosmith)
> Boston, MA USA   |   Hire    |