[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling...

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 4 08:26:55 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Leif Nixon wrote:
> Ah, that reminds me of the bad old days in industry.

That in turn reminds me of recent construction work around here...

Since the building with our offices and our small server room had to
be renovated, the water-based cooling system for the server room had
to be temporarily replaced with a mobile unit that pumps the heat into
the hallway. The company responsible had no better idea than to
replace the cooling system on friday afternoon -- of course without
telling anybody. As the mobile unit was much too small, the server
room had turned into sauna until monday when we discovered the
problem. Ups.

Luckily no hardware was damaged, even though the sensors in the
hard-disk drives of our server measured a maximum of 47C.

Regards,
Felix

Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H16             | Phone: +41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   +41 1 632 1307