[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling...

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Feb 3 10:11:32 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 at 9:26am, Eckhoff.Peter at epamail.epa.gov wrote

> Instead we found a sensor/software combination where the sensor ties
> into the
> serial port of one of the nodes.  So far we **have** been able to
> gracefully shut down the
> programs that are running.  We have **not** found a way to automatically
> turn off the
> various cluster nodes.  That's where we need some help/suggestions.

Well, your high-temperature-triggered scripts should call a 'shutdown -h
now'.  *If* your nodes are on motherboards that support it, and *if* the
BIOS is new enough to support it, and *if* the nodes were booted with
'apm=power-off' on the kernel command line, then they should actually
power off.

Another option would be something like this:

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AP7960

With that (ungodly expensive) power strip, you can remotely cut the power
to selected outlets.  It probably can be automated, but you'd have to
check that.

As Jim said, though, all this is great, but there really does need to be
one final level of hardware level failsafe.  It is entirely conceivable
that all your software monitoring could fail, and the temperature will
still be climbing.  There needs to be a piece of hardware in the room that
literally cuts power to the whole damn room at a set temperature that is
(obviously) above the one that trips your software shutdown scripts.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering