[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling...

Andrew Latham lathama at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 22:07:18 EST 2004

Trained Electrician Here

Worked at a HVAC system fab. plant. I wired large Air Make Up Units. I was
trained in by a very old school guy (CS degree from 1962). I watched as
turnovers in workers happened and started to notice the lower paid
guys that would work on 480V extension cords while they where hot with 60hp
motors drawing on them! I strayed from that path for a while until a friend,
who was handed the task of managing the renovation of an old building downtown.
She had questions I had time. I ended up finding a retired electrician that
knew his stuff. I asked him how he kept up to date. His reply was that he is on
the writing committee for the National Electric Code. Needless to say I keep in
contact with him on various topics.

Note: CatV + Lighting = PCs + Fire
Note2: Attic Access doors do not belong in the ceiling of a wiring closet.
Something about fire wanting to go upwards, maybe some of you physics guys can
explain it better.

--- "Michael T. Prinkey" <mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Tim Wait wrote:
>

> > > Dropping a fine gauge wire across the main power rails was an
> > > interesting stunt, too. Too bad he didn't even get flash burns.
> >
> > How about an electrician, who, while working on your building
> > power conditioning, sends 180V through your 120V building,
> > frying everything not on UPS?
> >
> > We were not amused.
>
> Oh, give the guy a break:  Red, Black, White...it is all very confusing!
>
> My most serious problem has been with the computer room UPS begin shutdown
> accidentally, dropping a half-dozen raid servers.  Many TBs of data were
> endangered.  I might be able to forgive them if it only happened once, but
> I've needed to force myself to stop counting events because doing so
> interferes with my ability to properly suppress homocidal urges.
>
> Seriously, one would think that a Darwinian effect would kick in at some
> point and cull the electrical service hurd.  My observations (and others
> here as well) seem to dispute that.

=====
Andrew Latham AKA: LATHAMA (lay-th-ham-eh) - LATHAMA.COM

Penguin Loving, Moralist Agnostic.
What Is an agnostic? -  An agnostic thinks it impossible to know
the truth in matters such as, a superbeing or the future with which
religions are mainly concerned with. Or, if not impossible, at least
impossible at the present time.

lathama at lathama.com - lathama at yahoo.com