[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling...

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Wed Feb 4 15:08:04 EST 2004

"Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Leif Nixon wrote:
>
>> When the temperature reached 35C, the thermal kill switch triggered
>> automatically. Pity that the electrician had never got around to
>> actually, like, *wire* it to anything.
>>
>> We arrived Monday morning to the smell of frying electronics.
>> Expensive weekend, that.
>
> Did you ever manage to track down the electrician and put bamboo slivers
> underneath his toenails or something?

Sadly, no. And don't get me started on luser electricians.

"Ooops, did that feed go to the computer room?"

"Hmmm, what's on this circuit? Let's toggle it and see what reboots."
(Yes, it really happened. I don't often shout at people, but that time...)

Dropping a fine gauge wire across the main power rails was an
interesting stunt, too. Too bad he didn't even get flash burns.

I think the main point here is: If you get hold of a competent
electrician, take *real* good care of him.

--
Leif Nixon                                    Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre           Linkoping University