[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Feb 4 08:17:30 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Leif Nixon wrote:

> Jim Lux <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
>
> > YOu need to seriously consider a "failsafe" totally automated shutdown
> > (as in chop the power when temperature gets to, say, 40C, in the
> > room)... Security might be busy (maybe there was a big problem with
> > the chiller plant catching fire or the boiler exploding.. if they're
> > directing fire engine traffic, the last thing they're going to be
> > thinking about is going over to your machine room and shutting down
> > your hardware.
>
> Ah, that reminds me of the bad old days in industry.
>
> The A/C went belly up the night between Friday and Saturday. That
> triggered the alarm down at Security, who promptly called the on-duty
> ventilation technicians and notified us. Excellent.
>
> Except that the A/C alarm was never reset properly, so when the A/C
> failed again Saturday afternoon nobody noticed.
>
> When the temperature reached 35C, the thermal kill switch triggered
> automatically. Pity that the electrician had never got around to
> actually, like, *wire* it to anything.
>
> We arrived Monday morning to the smell of frying electronics.
> Expensive weekend, that.

Did you ever manage to track down the electrician and put bamboo slivers
underneath his toenails or something?  That one seems like it would be
worth some sort of retaliation.  A small nuclear device planted in his
front lawn.  An anonymous call to the IRS.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu