[Beowulf] Experiences with MPI over LSI's Fusion-MPT chipset

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Tue Feb 3 13:12:24 EST 2004

> I noticed in the Linux kernel configuration that there is support for LSI's
> Fusion-MPT chipset. Also, it is possible to run MPI over this.

huh?  afaikt, it's just another overly expensive, overly complicated hw raid
controller.  I guess there must be a market for this kind of wrongheaded
crap, but I really don't understand it.

I guess it's just the impulse to offload whatever possible from the host;
that's an understandable idea, but you really need to look at whether it
makes sense, or whether it's just a holdover from bygone days when your
million-dollar mainframe was actually compute-bound ;)