[Beowulf] Re: HVAC and room cooling...

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Tue Feb 3 04:21:24 EST 2004

Jim Lux <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> YOu need to seriously consider a "failsafe" totally automated shutdown
> (as in chop the power when temperature gets to, say, 40C, in the
> room)... Security might be busy (maybe there was a big problem with
> the chiller plant catching fire or the boiler exploding.. if they're
> directing fire engine traffic, the last thing they're going to be
> thinking about is going over to your machine room and shutting down
> your hardware.

Ah, that reminds me of the bad old days in industry.

The A/C went belly up the night between Friday and Saturday. That
triggered the alarm down at Security, who promptly called the on-duty
ventilation technicians and notified us. Excellent.

Except that the A/C alarm was never reset properly, so when the A/C
failed again Saturday afternoon nobody noticed.

When the temperature reached 35C, the thermal kill switch triggered
automatically. Pity that the electrician had never got around to
actually, like, *wire* it to anything.

We arrived Monday morning to the smell of frying electronics.
Expensive weekend, that.

Leif Nixon                                    Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre           Linkoping University
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org