[Beowulf] C vs C++ challenge

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Sun Feb 1 05:57:37 EST 2004

> I could easily optimize it more (do the work on a larger buffer at a
> once), but I think enough waste heat has been created here.  This is a
> simple 2500+ Athlon XP box (nothing fancy) running 2.4.24-pre3.

Enough time wasted on finding different solutions to a simple problem?  Surely
not.  Let me toss my hat into the ring:

              Awk     Perl       C    My program (C)
wrnpc10.txt  1.771   1.125   0.506     0.164
shaks12.txt  3.055   1.877   0.955     0.243
big.txt     20.339  12.792   5.858     1.196
vbig.txt   101.466  63.770  29.079     5.666