[Beowulf] Linux 2.4 vs 2.6 AND ia64 vs amd64

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 05:40:34 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 01:39:40PM +0800, Andrew Wang wrote:
> http://www.infoworld.com/infoworld/article/04/01/30/05FElinux_1.html
>
> 2.6 looks very promising, wondering when distributions
> will include it.

Debian unstable does today.  The new installer for the next release
of Debian (currently Debian testing) which is in beta test may well
include a 2.6 kernel option.

> Also ia64 performance looks bad when compared to Xeon
> or amd64. Intel switching to amd64 is a good choice
> ;->

Newsflash: Severe weather means Hell freezes over, preventing flying
pigs from taking off :)

IIRC: Since you seem well aware of SPBS / storm - is the newest storm
release fully free / GPL'd such that I can use it anywhere?

Thanks,

Andy