[Beowulf] Distributed Parallel Caching Filesystems

Andrew Fant fant at pobox.com
Tue Dec 28 17:15:14 EST 2004

Hello and happy holidays to all,
      I am looking around at high-performance i/o environments as my
latest obsessions.  I am hoping to have a couple of systems available to
play with various options, and am looking to see if anyone has
implemented a clustered file system that can take span multiple I/O
servers with multiple network interfaces and cache to local systems
based on locality of data (something akin to the way SGI did CC-Numa for
memory in the big Origin 2000/3000 Systems).  Coda seems to have some of
this functionality, but I really don't want to make users have to
explicitly send and release data, and I do need standard posix
semantics.  I can sketch this out in a png and send it to anyone who
wants to talk further, but for the moment, I hope this sets out what I
am thinking of.  Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

Andy