[Beowulf] Re: MPI Implementations for SMP use

Isaac Dooley idooley2 at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 19 18:27:07 EST 2004

Charm++ and AMPI(an adaptive MPI implementation) also do this(http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu). They conceptually run multiple Virtual Processors on each node, and they have both local and remote delivery options. There are some real benefits to this. On a technical level they can use our own user level threads, which I believe are faster than pthreads.

Isaac Dooley