[Beowulf] NEC4 and beowulf

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 09:46:28 EST 2004

I'm looking for information on anyone who has run NEC4 (Numerical
Electromagnetics Code) on a Beowulf. The source is F77 (well, actually, DEC
Powerstation Visual Fortran v.6, but doesn't use any graphics, so the visual
is sort of superfluous).

Aside from simple parallelizing schemes where you farm out multiple
invocations to multiple processors, I'm looking for approaches where the
inner grunt work is spread out a bit.  It's mostly matrix math (solving a
big matrix at one point, but, I don't know if it uses standard library
calls).  It does support some form of intelligent partitioning because you
can set a total model size and separately set a smaller  "in core matrix
size" when you compile, so that it can swap to disk.

Before I start really digging into the source, I thought I'd just ask.

Jim Lux
JPL