[Beowulf] Opteron performance

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Wed Dec 8 04:08:46 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 03:36:30PM -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 pesch at attglobal.net wrote:
> >Where can I find a decent comparison betwenn Opteron and Athlon64
> functionaly the only difference betten the two is memory bandwidth and the
> number of ht ports.

Er, it's a bit more complicated than that.

Athlon 64's are available in 3 flavors:
s754 athlon 64s have a 64 bit memory bus (unregistered memory, 1 less cycle)
s939 athlon 64s have a 128 bit memory bus (unregistered memory, 1 less cycle)
s940 athlon 64s have a 128 bit memory bus (registered, 1 more cycle)

The FX is available in both s939 and s940, but are "unlocked" so you
can change the multiplier (useful mostly for overclocking).

Athlon 64s have 2 cache sizes, 512K and 1024K.  Be careful often the
same cpu rating (like the athlon 64 3200) are available in 2 cache sizes
and 2 clock speeds.

So the main performance differences are 1/2 the memory bandwidth for
s754 chips, and 1/2 the cache size for some athlon 64's.  The effect
of either will depend on the application.

AFAIK, the s939 athlon 64's have 3 HT's just like the opteron, but none
of them are coherent, so you can't run SMP with them.

Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering
UC Davis
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org