Environment monitoring

David B. Ritch dritch at hpti.com
Tue Sep 30 16:20:30 EDT 2003

I haven't used an environmental monitoring system quite that
sophisticated, but I do have an APC UPS that supports environmental
monitoring.  I track it using BigBrother (http://bb4.com).  You can also
monitor temperatures on many motherboards using lm-sensors and a tool
like BigBrother.

dbr

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 15:15, Mitchel Kagawa wrote:
> This past Friday night after everyone in the office went home our AC, for
> our small 64 node cluster, decided to have a compressor problem and stop
> producing cool air.  On Sat I get a phone call saying that one of our users
> can't access his e-mail (server is also in cluster room).  I wasn't able to
> get to the office until Sunday afternoon and I wasn't able to log into the
> head node to shut everything down remotely. By the time I was able to get to
> the cluster all but 20 nodes had shut themselves down because the ambient
> temperature of the room reached 145 deg.  Thankfully all the servers, raid
> arrays and all but 2 nodes came back up when I hit the power button (after I
> got the temp back to 68).  Our stupid ac doesn't have the communications
> package that cost an extra $5000 cause my company's too cheap to spring for
> it and an extra phone line.  So I was wondering if anyone used one of those
> environment monitoring appliances that e-mail you (before stuff starts
> shutting off) if a temp goes out of a set range or if it detects water, high
> humidity, or movement in the room?  I'm looking at a NetBotz/RackBots here
> (http://www.netbotz.com/products/rack.html) and was wondering if anyone has
> any experience with them or if you have any other (inexpensive <$2000)
> suggestions.  Thanks for any help.
>
> Mitchel Kagawa

David B. Ritch
High Performance Technologies, Inc.