Cluster distributions?

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 29 10:38:15 EDT 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Erwan Velu wrote:
> That one of our stronger point, the ka technologies from IDIMAG allow us
> to deploy new nodes within 3 minutes (duplication, reoboot, autoconfig).

While 3 minutes sounds impressive, the time also depends on the amount
of data that you transfer.

> This tools helps you to keep your nodes up to date. Urpmi parallel uses
> the ka technologies so the time needed for installing 50MB on a cluster
> doesn't depend on the cluster size ! It takes the same time for installing
> on 2 or 50 nodes ! So just have an switched network (very common this
> days).

How do you do it? With the multi-drop chain similar to Dolly?

Regards,
Felix

Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H16             | Phone: +41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   +41 1 632 1307