Redhat Fedora

adm35 at georgetown.edu adm35 at georgetown.edu
Fri Sep 26 22:03:26 EDT 2003

It just seems to me that the entire question is less than relevant for so
many of us.  In many cases, we're *compelled* to use one particular
distro over all others, because the researchers we support are using
binary versions of applications that require a particular distro, which
is frequently RedHat.  I actually discovered one today that REQUIRES
RedHat 8 or better!!  You can all imagine that I was less than amused.

We generally use OSCAR on RedHat, but not for any particular political
reason.  It works, and all of our applications run on it.  If we had the
luxury of having ready access to the source code for all of our
applications, we might look elsewhere....or we might not.

Some of you have the luxury of having all your programs created locally.
I think many, perhaps most, of the rest of us do not.  As long as I
remain at the mercy of software vendors for some percentage of our
computational applications, I'll probably stay with RedHat, questionable
policies or not.

Arnie Miles
Systems Administrator:  Advanced Research Computing
Adjunct Faculty:  Computer Science
202.687.9379
168 Reiss Science Building
http://www.georgetown.edu/users/adm35