Redhat Fedora

Greg Lindahl lindahl at keyresearch.com
Fri Sep 26 14:00:06 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:54:46PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> The interesting question is why anybody in their right mind would pay
> for any sort of GPL-based distribution that scales per number of
> processors.  Especially pay numbers like these.  Hell, one might as well
> be running Windows.

This is a really unfair and misguided comment. You're paying for
support. If you don't want to pay that much, don't. Given that most of
the code is GPLed, you are free to build a GPL-only subset of any
distro and give it away.

Comparing it to Windozs is the unfair and misguided part. Them's
fightin' words!

> The same
> issues exist with Myrinet and SCI -- I'll be there are dozens of
> clusters installed on plain old ethernet for each one of the clusters
> installed on high end networks

One would hope that the choice was made with price/performance in
mind, instead of the incorrect reasoning of "Myrinet is expensive."

> (which, frankly, are worth a lot more
> than high end/expensive "distributions" since Red Hat cannot alter the
> fundamentally limiting computation/communications ratio at a given task
> scale, but a faster network interface can!).

There's more to a cluster than the computation. RedHat would claim
that their added value is in administration. It's pointless (unfair,
misguided, insert more terms here) to complain that RedHat doesn't
improve computation.

Really, Robert, this rant is not up to your usual quality. Sheesh.

-- greg