A question of OS!!

Brian Dobbins brian.dobbins at yale.edu
Thu Sep 25 20:19:51 EDT 2003

> Has anyone been benchmarking SLES vs RHEL v3 beta?  One of my codes
> is twice as fast on a dual 1.4 Ghz opterons with RHEL v3 beta as compared
> to a dual 1.8 Ghz opteron running SLES.

  Yikes.. what kernels are used on these systems by default, and how large
is the code?  I've been running SuSE 8.2 Pro on my nodes, and have gotten
varying performance due to motherboard, BIOS level and kernel.  (SuSE 8.2
Pro comes a modified 2.4.19, but I've also run 2.6.0-test5)

  Also, are the BIOS settings the same?  And how are the RAM slots
populated?  That made a difference, too!

  (Oh, and I imagine they're both writing to a local disk, or minimal
amounts over NFS?  That could play a big part, too.. )

  I should have some numbers at some point for how much things vary, but
at the moment we've been pretty busy on our systems.  Any more info on
this would be great, though, since I've been looking at the faster chips,
too!

  Cheers,
  -Brian