A question of OS!!

Bill Broadley bill at math.ucdavis.edu
Thu Sep 25 20:02:30 EDT 2003

> Secondly, if you are going to use Opteron there are very good reasons to
> use SuSE Enterprise Linux (SLES) instead of RH9. SLES natively supports
> the Opteron while RH9 will only run in 32-bit mode. SLES also has a
> 5 or so year lifespan, versus the 1 year on RH9. SLES has preconfigured
> NUMA support for the Opteron.

Has anyone been benchmarking SLES vs RHEL v3 beta?  One of my codes
is twice as fast on a dual 1.4 Ghz opterons with RHEL v3 beta as compared
to a dual 1.8 Ghz opteron running SLES.

The application is an earthquake simulation using MPI, I used the newest
MPICH with the same compiled features, and am running 2 processes in
both cases.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics