A question of OS!!

Erwan Velu erwan at mandrakesoft.com
Wed Sep 24 05:32:38 EDT 2003

Le mer 24/09/2003 à 10:58, Cannon, Andrew a écrit :
>So which of the mainstream distros are best for Beowulfs? RH, SuSe,
>Mandrake etc?
> We use RH8, but I am unsure about whether we should still use this or go to
> another distro.
For my side (MandrakeSoft of course :D), I could tell that
MandrakeClustering is a real cluster oriented Linux Distribution. I mean
it integrates a lot of thing in one package (a distro)

"OS (MandrakeLinux) + Admin & Config tools + Deployment tools (KA) +
MPICH & LAM/MPI & PVM + Usual cluster tools (rshp, gexec, ganglia, dsh,
clusterit etc...)."

Everything is autoconfigured and ready to run after the install process.
No need to be a Linux Guru to install a full cluster. Our customers are
happy about that point. Scientists (which are not all Linux Gurus) are
able to install their owns cluster in a few hours !

MDKC also provides "urpmi parallel" for managing the rpm distribution
across the cluster.

For this points,
RedHat & Suse don't do the same today.
--
Erwan Velu
Linux Cluster Distribution Project Manager